I went with one of my besties (and fellow Pinterest addict) to the stores today to recreate what we both knew we needed to have: the Dum Dum lollipop flower pot that has been floating around on Pinterest boards.
Here's the pin that inspired us:
Now, my friend is way more colorful and exciting than I am, so while she chose a fabulous hot pink & white polka-dot bucket and a white & black gingham ribbon, I relied on my old standbys of a sage green flowerpot and teal & while polka dot ribbon. Believe it or not, this is "colorful" for me :)
- Small flower pot
- Styrofoam ball (mine ended up being 5"~ look near the fake flowers in your craft store)
- 7/8" ribbon
- BIG pack of Dum Dum lollipops (my friend said she almost ran out of hers & we each got the 250 pack!)
- Glue gun
1. Assembled my supplies, like a chef in a cooking show :)
2. Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to wrap around the top of the flower pot, then slightly "burnt" the edges so there would be no fraying
3. Working in 3" sections, I hot glued the ribbon to the flower pot, smoothing it down as I went.
4. I had the ribbon overlap a bit at the end, then applied extra glue around the edges to make sure this would not peel up throughout its life as a Dum Dum Tree
5. The Dum Dum planting began!
6. At first there was no rhyme or reason to my planting, but it soon became apparent that so many lollipops made it very side-heavy, so I ended up doing the entire area around the flower pot and working my way up
7. About 3 minutes later (this is seriously the fastest craft ever!), I was ready to put in the very last one!
And voila! The Dum Dum Tree is finished and looks so stinkin' cute~ I know my students will love to see this tomorrow!
As a bonus, I am eating a Fruit Punch Dum Dum now and it is delish! With a 5" Styrofoam ball, I luckily had quite a bit leftover (for now!)
Update: I am linking up with Heather at Third Grade's a Hoot and her Pintervention Party! Check it out :)